Thursday, April 12, 2007

To be honest, I never expected myself to be sitting in front of the computer, bloggin as soon as I am now. However, life is full of surprises that will probably take you aback if you are not fully prepared for it. Something has cropped up in my life that forces me to feel most compelled to share this incident with everyone I know, that has proven to be not only abhorrent towards the opposite gender, but demeaning to the feminine role as well.
I was on my way back from dinner with my mother, at dhouby ghaut MRT station when loud shrieks and cries can be heard from a distance. As we approach closer to the entrance of the station, we witness a quarrel between an Indian couple occurring at the lower platform.
Apparently, the cries we’ve heard were from the lady, who was frantically trying to run after the man, supposedly her husband or boyfriend. However, whenever she attempts to hold onto him by his arm, he will shove her away and wrench her hand away from him. This went on for about a few minutes until about the fifth time when she tried to stop him in vain, he turned and using his leg, kick her relentlessly, like a beast, and used the plastic bag which he was holding onto to whack her twice on her head. Only then, did I see a few stationmasters coming forward to put a halt to this brutal attack by that monster.
To reenact such a disgusting episode is unnerving to my seething anger and revulsion, but it is truly a joke to see such a monstrous act being committed during this century, IN PUBLIC. Within a single act such as the above, he has proven himself to not only be uncivilized, uncouth, ungentlemanly, but an extremely unintelligent tyrant as well.
Firstly, he ought to be more attuned to his surroundings and realize that this is Singapore he is living in and worse, at a place where the professionals and highly educated workforce are overpopulated around him. With actions so barbaric as that, he has indirectly insulted the etiquette and propriety in which a proper civilized man strives to behave and agitated the pride of many intellectual women who so often strongly believes and advocate in the equality and fair treatment of both genders.
Also, The Women’s Charter in Singapore is a force to be reckoned with. He has just attacked a lady in front of many onlookers, making him the perpetrator and hence breaking one of the laws of the Act. As I was walking off to board the train from another line, I saw four police guards on duty walking towards the scene. I am assuming, should he get caught for this, chances are he wont escape from the Book as if the judicial system ever let him off, they are indirectly condoning his act and sending an evident message to all the males in Singapore that beating up a woman in public is justifiable and The Women’s Charter stands for zilch. In any case, since he was the one to open attack on the other party, be it man or woman, he has to get caught for assaulting another. bleaugh...dumb dumb dumb.
The irony of this whole situation we live in today is that women constantly advocate for equality among different genders yet so far, attacks and abuses I have witness in public, is caused by men towards women. What sort of equality is this? The most disheartening fact is the fact that during this whole assault, the lady never ran from the man or refuted back. Rather, she was cowering in fear, awaiting aid and the stationmasters and policemen who came to her rescue were all males. So what sort of justice are we, women, exactly calling out for then?
In situations like this, one would advice thou not to hang thy dirty linens in public. My advice to him, though it’s too late, is not to even think of hanging any dirty linens indoor, for in this century, nothing you do can actually be kept uncovered for long.

Goodness, I feel like my blog is anti-male alr. Perhaps the next time I look at my website, I will have many insults strewn in my direction because of my two cents worth. Haha.

No comments: