Sunday, August 27, 2006

On Saturday night, as I juz came back from dinner with my parents, I turned on the tv and managed to catch a glimpse of the last few singers from the Spectaculars episode of the repeated telecast of the Singapore Idol. Personally, I tot it was indeed a waste to have matilda and now, nurul, to leave the competition. But nonetheless, I didn't vote. Actually, if u notice the pple arnd u, u will notice that those who actually appreciate the above two singers singing aren't exactly those people that will spend money on voting. And that is the reason they are out. And comparing them to people like Jonathan Leong and Joakim, whilst in their mind they may have a certain fear for these strong singers as they are being overthrowned by them everyday and any day of the competition, they shudnt worry the least bit. Why? Because the crowd they attract are the I-will-sms-for-you crowd. Simple. So wad is Singapore idol anw? Popularity vs. Talents? Though I wun exactly deny that this is also the scenario in American Idol...
However, what raised my awareness regardin this episode was actually the finale statement of the host Danielle Ong, and of coz, followed by the unnecessary echoes from Gurmit Singh. Pleas were sent out to the crowd as usual to vote for your fav. If u still want them in the competition. But after this plea was stacked by another plea. Please vote for talent! It was as if the host and judges had premonition that someone undeserving of the Singapore idol glory will be kept and a better competitor will be sent home. Which it did happen! So what is the cause of it? actually, I tot of a reason but I darent say out least I spark issues of controversy. It’s the R-word.
Also, I am amused by the fact that Singapore idol is actually considered as a family show...this was taken off a magazine I read recently. It stated that why wud someone want their children to speak like Gurmit singh when they grow up into young adults? Like just after the show commences, he will nvr fail to screech a draggin "WAZZZZZZZUP!" to the audience and followed by "SING-AH-PORE...SCRREEEeAAAAAAMMM!!"and the audience will just give a weak applause. Then he will gear himself up for the second request to scream even louder and sometimes, although the applause is actually audibly softer, he actually says "yea..that’s the way to kick off the show manzzz". Y'know what? I actually sorta am swayed by the reporter's argument. while Singapore govt stresses so much on the speaking perfect English, we have the judges speaking nonsensical comments, coupled with a few "ah", "umm", "errr" juz to make their advice even more difficult to comprehend. Hmmm..family show? U may want to reconsider again ya...MediaCorp? and I think if I were to come home one day with a Paul Twohill look-a-like hairstyle, my dad wud prob drop dead on the floor.

No comments: